19 March 2008

Tuck flap A into slot B

Today I'm thankful for ...

... a friend who has put together Ikea furniture before. I've done the tables and bookshelves without problem, but this was the first time I've attempted a couch. And, whoa, it's big and heavy! It came in two big pieces with tons of cardboard and plastic wrap. I got a third box with the cover in it.

There were some tense moments when a nut wasn't going down its bolt---I think there was a manufacturing defect in the threads. But together we powered through it and we got it to eventually lock into place. And then there was the cover-stretching fiasco. It's a good thing there's Velcro everywhere to hold things in place, but still. I'm thinking now that I ought to tip it back and borrow someone's staple gun to really nail that cover into place, literally. I suppose not affixing it would be good so I could wash the cover, but that would also imply disassembling the arms of the chair. And the feet. Ugh. Maybe it's not worth worrying about.

No comments: