09 March 2008

It won't ... it DID!

Today I'm thankful for ...

... having a hatchback and an Internet connection. So, yay, I got to take home a new TV. Unfortunately, TVs are getting a bit larger these days even though they are technically getting smaller. It's all that packaging...

I went online a few days ago and found a TV on sale and thought ... oh cool! The next thought was: delivery or pick-up? Well, I read Sony's website and copied out the dimensions of the packaging. I went back to my car and ... holy ... the box would fit exactly. I mean exactly. With millimeters (if at all) to spare. In fact, when I went to the store to get the TV the guys looked at me as if I was insane.

"If the Internet measurements are correct then there won't be a problem."

"There's no way this is fitting in there."

"Just try it. I can always get it delivered."

They tipped it into the back and ... "oh my ..." ... it slid in perfectly with a couple of millimeters to spare on both sides. Then the tailgate wouldn't close, but I was sure it was capable of closing. I went through my checklist: seats forward all the way, no obstructions, won't close... OH. And then I noticed the seats were reclined. (My car has locking seatbacks to "remember" the recline position.) So I straightened the seatbacks and ... voila. The box actually had a couple of inches to spare! So after shutting the lid I even got to recline my seat a bit.

No comments: